One of the things I've really been working on the past few years is incorporating Spirit into my daily life. Before this, I'd do things like treat myself to a Tarot card reading or attend a class about building my intuition, but I would do these things only sparingly, usually when an opportunity arose or when day-to-day life simply became too much. Of course, my little spiritual treats were always so enjoyable, I'd try to stretch the energy I got from them into the next day, but lo' and behold, I'd get distracted by other things and that happy, relaxed, wondrous feeling would fade. Sound familiar?
So, over the past few years, I have been trying to build a daily regimen that mixes in a few spiritual things to help conjure this wonderful energy, whether I have a Tarot reading to perform that day or not. Here's what I have so far:
1) Capture Dreams. I love dreams because you almost never run out of them, and they almost always have a helpful, sometimes spiritual, message inside. The dreams I most remember are from the early morning hours, basically in the ten minutes just before I wake up or right after I hit the "snooze" button. When I wake, I try to recall as much of the dream as possible. I may even close my eyes again to allow my mind to return to the dream. Whatever it takes to let the dream rise up, I do it.
As you might suspect, I then write down my dreams in a journal, usually my normal journal as I like to keep everything in the same place. It's next to my bed with a pen (that has ink! very important!). I jot down, or more like scribble, as much as I can. Then I leave it, either for later analysis or for posterity. For me, the most important thing is that I feel like I've honored this message from my unconscious by giving it some attention. If more is required of it, I'll know.
2) Quick Morning Yoga. Per advice from my yoga teacher, I do five sun salutations every morning, a twist or two, and side bends to work the "six" directions of the back. I do this all before I have my morning coffee, and yes, it shows! My first sun salutation is always a bit creaky -- it sure is hard to bend over first thing in the morning! But I don't judge my performance. I just love the way I feel after that fifth one is done. My energy is flowing, blood is pumping, and a smile stretched across my face. And it only takes a few minutes!
3) Draw Tarot and Angel Cards. I bring these next to my yoga mat so that when I'm done with yoga, I can just reach for the cards. These days I am drawing two Tarot cards a day, one as a preview of the energy surrounding the day and another for advice on how to live to my highest potential today. Those drawn, I then grab an Angel card from one of Doreen Virtue's Angel decks. Altogether, I feel like the three cards give me a good grasp of what the day's going to look like and what I need to keep in mind as it develops.
5) Call on my Angel Helpers. I read Sonia Choquette's The Psychic Pathway a few years ago, and her discussion of Angel Helpers really stuck with me. The idea is that there is a class of Angels whose sole purpose is to help us when we ask for it. And I mean for anything. In fact, I have an Angel Helper with me as I write this post! I call on these Angels multiple times a day for stuff like help making an appointment on time, figuring out what to make for dinner, or driving through the streets of my town. "Angel Helpers, can you help me....?" It works!
6) Prayer at Night. I was raised Catholic, so all of those hours of catechism left an impression on me. Before I go to sleep, I will whip out prayers for the Big 3: God, Jesus, and the Virgin Mary. Of the three, I feel closest to Jesus, so I wrote my own prayer for him, whereas for Mary and God, I rely on the standard "Hail Mary" and "Our Father" to give them a shout.
Not Daily, But Often, I...
1) Ask someone in the Spirit world to DJ my iPod shuffle. I love to listen to my iPod on shuffle, so when I do, I'll sometimes ask an Archangel...or Buddha...or Carl Jung...or my Higher Self...anyone, really, to DJ the "shuffle." The songs that come up are always, always amusing. You must try this!
2) Look up Angel numbers. Doreen Virtue has a great book called Angel Numbers 101, where she tells you the Angel message behind that number you just keep seeing. I try to hold out for a number I see at least three times in various places before I search the book, but I can easily be convinced after a second appearance. The only number I will look up after one sighting is for hotel room numbers -- I feel like that's a direct message every time!
3) Meditate. Argh, I know, I know. Here is where I admit that your Tarot reader has a tiny flaw...she doesn't do daily meditation. I will sometime squeeze it in after my yoga practice or before I go to bed, but for some doggone reason, I can't seem to get it down consistently. Still, I'm a fan of the Insight Timer app on my phone. It has prerecorded guided meditations, one of them being a brilliant 1 minute meditation. I guess I really have no excuse...ha.
So, there you have it, my daily spiritual pupu platter! I'd love to hear what you do to inject spirituality into your daily life. Feel free to leave a comment below!